FIRST STAR TO THE RIGHT AND STRAIGHT ON 'TIL MORNING

A Cornishman's Tale
My adventure in New Zealand was awesome, so I'm sharing it with you.

04 December 2009

24th of September I think.

I will state from the start that I was pretty home sick for the first week or so so bare with me. I thought if I'm going to type this up I'll do it worts and all. I had forgot how home sick I was at the beginning of my journey until I just read the first few pages again.....silly fool. Remember the bits in italics are bits I have added while I'm copying it onto the blog. 

Bloody long journey, about 50 hours from home to here, Auckland. Well it's a city and a big one to. Cities aren't my favourate places at the best of times but it seem OK. Got here last night about 7 in the evening. (we left Cornwall early on the morning of the 22rd, a Tuesday, and landed in NZ on the 24th. Here being the youth hostel. We booked a twin room rather than a 8 person share for the first couple of night just to be able to get some sleep from the jet lag and to slowly ease ourselves into youth hostel life. I layed on my bed for a few minutes and woke up at midnight. I read my book for a while to try to get myself back to sleep. Yes I said book, an actual book. The fellowship of the Ring and as of this point they haven't even left the shire yet. I read the Hobbit last year and as ussual it's taken me this long to get around to Tolkin's holy trilogy.

Anyone who knows me will know that I don't read alot apart from loads of comics and it is a bit of a running joke with a friend of mine that we don't even know what a book it. When we go into a book shop we joke that its completely empty apart from the graphic novel section and question why all the space is wasted with empty shelves. That kind of makes me sound like I'm some kind of book hater but I'm total not. I would love to be one of those people that can finish a book in a day but I just have to meny distractions which is no excuse really. I often start a book and love it but if I have a few days where I haven't read any of it I'll not pick it up again for weeks.

So anyway got up at 6am and pottered about a bit. Still really tierd and major home sick. Really starting to have second thoughts, was thinking maybe I should have used the money to go back and really see Scotland properly, man it was nice there. (I went to Scotland last year and spent a couple of week travelling around, the Highlands are amazing by the way. I will add the following sentance from my diary allthough it doesn't really have anything to do with the yourny but just to keep it accurate and incase I lose it I will have a complete digital copy. The diary I was using was a small but thick, about an inch or more, leatherbound book with a leather cord to tigh it shut. If you can imagine Indiana Jones's dad's diary in The Last Crausade, that's what it is like. Thanks you to my mate Ben for giving it to me as a going away present for exactelly that reason) Bloody hard to write on the bottom of these pages, gu'na be even harder on the back of them.

Right!!!!!bloody impossible to write on the other side of these pages, it's the thick spin and sort cover. Oh where was I ....ummm.....oh yeah. Youth hostel is nice and clean, didn't see much of it yet. I'm in the kitchen bit right now thinking about going out for a fag. I haven't smoked (before today) since we got on the plane in London, which seems such a long time ago already.

No comments:

Post a Comment